Monday 29 December 2014

THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND TAKE AWAYS

Wow! I've had some Very  busy days in my years at the garden centre cafe but I take my hat off to these guys. In one day they manage to cook & serve 35 thousand portions of MIGAS. To celebrate this peasant dish cooked when food was scares. It consists of breadcrums cooked in olive oil, garlic flour & water & is served with a simple salad of onions, tomatoes, olives & orange segments. The town of Torrox celebrate it every year on the last Sunday befor Christmas.the two town squares fill to overflowing with people to eat MIGAS. Along with other food stalls selling traditional Spanish foods I'm told Spanish people will use any excuse to have a festival & this was no exception. People qued in long lines singing,laughing & just having fun as they waited for their FREE PLATEFULS of MIGAS & took full advantage of the FREE SHERRY WINE  being served to the assembled crowd. In the lower square a big stage had been erected & live music along with flamenco dancers a DJ and bands performed late into the night. The restaurants in the square were bust all the day & night. It was a mighty party as an Irish friend of mine used to say. Nobody of their heads with drink & in glorious sunshine :-

Early doors





The crowds starting to arrive



My first paella just meat, no fish





1 comment:

  1. I remember it well. It was a good party. Is that Martin & Joanne I can see in your first picture?

    And an enjoyable read. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete