Tuesday 29 April 2014

WILD CAMPING

I’m going for it. My first night, wild camping. I have arrived at Dunnet Head, only 10 miles from John O Groats but a world away. The silence is deafening as they say, I’m parked up in the car park next to the lighthouse which boasts to be the most Northerly point on mainland Britain.  The sun is just beginning to set and after a day of fog, there is a great sunset:-

No parking signs have disappeared, that’s because someone took Caithness council to court after they were forced to move on one night after claiming they pulled up to rest because of driver fatigue and didn’t want to cause an accident. He won the case and soon after the council removed all the no overnight parking signs. I’m still keeping the hand gun in my Knicker draw for now though. Its 10pm and I’m the only one in the car park so it’s off to bed (Probably won’t sleep a wink ). Think I stayed awake until about 10.05pm. I woke up this morning with the Sun, feeling very refreshed. The Sun comes up early on the most northern point in Britain!! 5 am today. But the Sun was shining and the sky was blue PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. Hope you like my photo of the Orkney’s rising from the mist:-

 I’m crossing the top of Scotland today from Dunnet Head to Durness, surprisingly only about 70 miles and then down the west coast. OK so the sky is blue and the Sun is out, But what a contrast. The scenery is beautiful every mile is filled with amazing sights :-





This is the Scotland People have told me about. Have arrived at Scourie on the way South ( as I’ve been as far north as  I can go, at least without ferries and serious money.The Shetlands are190 miles north of here. Parked once again next to the sea for £15 with all facility’s. Posh people pronounce it "Farse I Latties." apart from wi-fi, first time without since I set off. ( Doing my fist cloths wash in the morning ).  Sat watching the tide come in with a small large whisky. That’s me with the whisky not the tide brining it in!! well that did happen in Whisky Galore! As I don’t have Tinternet you’ll have to wait till tomorrow before I can upload the blog. Final photo
is of a deer that had just swum across the loch.

2 comments:

  1. Great update - you are seeing the real Scotland now! Well done on the wild camping!
    My advice would be to do a bit more, say two nights wild and one on site. If you are not tied by time and you see a good spot then you can just pull up. Its a great way to save money (I'm a Scot by the way!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Scotland ready for a "Wild Bobby". The mind boggles. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete