Tuesday 29 April 2014

NOT A NORTH VERSES SOUTH DIVED MORE OF AN EAST VERSES WEST

As I write today's blog I'm Parked up in a car park at Duncansby Head, the most westerly point on main land Britain.it's about 2 miles west of John O Groats. I travelled up from Rosemarkie on the Black Isle yesterday on a cold misty day & stayed on a campsite in Wick. its 39 years since my last visit to Wick and sadly I have to say in my opinion that's about the right interval between visits. I didn't write the blog last night as I wanted to give Wick a chance to show it's better side but alas this morning it looked no better. It's a sad and sorry place.
A first impression as you arrive by train
A town centre deserted 

One of several uninviting takeaways


Arriving at John O Groats wasn't what I expected either there's nothing to tempt the the traveller to stay  here .A white painted wooden sign telling you how far it is to Lands End , New York, Aberdeen . There is a tourist office a restaurant, fish and chip shop and a gift shop among several empty shopping units. You can have your photo taken by a photographer who will add a sign bearing the name of your home town and the the distance to it, but he's been moved a hundred metres from a spot he's had for 20 years and now struggles to make a living because there is a new sign put up by the developers in his old spot you can photograph for free.
 He said  "It's a thousand miles from Lands end with all it's bustle and crowd"  all though the sign says it's actually 874 miles but metaphorically he's right. OK enough depression am off to see if I can take a decent photo or two .

No comments:

Post a Comment