Thursday 28 May 2015

THE LOST POST !

Hello reader.
                     As I set off on my next adventure, I'm writing my first blog in weeks. As I begin I realize I never published the last post from my previous adventure, so here it is.

After leaving Salamanca I set off to cross the Mighty Pyrenees back into France .My stop over tonight is in the small town of Cadllac. The name of the commune was adopted by Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, the founder of Detroit and Governor of Louisiana, on his arrival to what is now the United States. The Cadillac division of General Motors, and Cadillac, Michigan are named after him. Next day I drove north to cousin Ken & Penny's in Leffo where I spent a week before driving north by way of the coastal town of Arromanches Les Bains, one of the landing beaches of the WW2 its here that the Mulberry harbour was towed from England. Remains of the Harbour can still be seen off shore & there are lots to see around the town as well as  a Museum wich is well worth a visit visit. The next day took me to Calais for the short crossing to Dover. As you approach Calais on the motorway the traffic slows to a crawl wich alows would me stowaways who openly sit on the barriers at the side of he motorway to run across the carraigeway and try to climb aboard any likley lorry Caravan or Motorhome.Unfortunately Leftie has two exterior lockers big enough to hide in !!  I had the presence of mind to lock them before setting off. Security at the Port is very tight. I had to show my passport twice, Leftie was boarded and checked over and the line of cars waiting to board the ship was walked past by a sniffer dog. I landed in Dover about 9pm and spent the night on the seafront before driving up to Yorkshire to spend a few weeks with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment